Sunday, May 8, 2011

On education

I was early for work the other day and had a chance to chat with the janitress of the HR department. At first, it was the usual talk about how long is she working there and where am I studying questions but afterwards, it went to a talk about education.

After talking to her, it made me realized how lucky I am to be studying in a very good school since Grade school. I don't have to worry about money or going to school because my parents pay my tuition fee and I have a ride to school. But there are people, like her who doesn't even get to finish high school. She became a working student just for her future but unfortunately, her sister took away that dream of hers to study. Her sister forced her parents to let her study instead of her and Ate Ly, being the elder sister, agreed. Unfortunately, her sister did not finish school because she just quit. Ate Ly was devastated about it because she could have finished high school already.

This story of hers just became a slap in my face. I take things for granted sometimes. Like my education and my house and my clothes and all that. I feel so thankful right now that I don't have to worry about my education like some people do.

It's such a sad fact about education here in the Philippines. Only a few graduate and some doesn't even deserve it. I just felt pity for Ate Ly because I saw in her eyes the dream of graduating(even just high school). This made me want to help more. Nothing can replace education that's why I don't understand why my brother doesn't see that.

I just wish I could be super rich to help out people like her. Someday, I will. I will find out a way to help out more.

4 comments:

kape said...

nakarelate ako dito ...
coz im worried not to get enrolled this coming sem. But that's life after all... if i want to finish my studies and if my parents cant support my studies na then i should make a move para makatapos.

someday we will be one of the people whose helping others to pursue their studies :)

Steph said...

Aww dearie. I know your family will do everything they can for you to finish your studies. I like your attitude, keep that. Coz those who wasn't able to finish school doesn't have that attitude. :) So just strive and I know that you'll be rewarded :)

TRUE :) Let's help them all together!

Unknown said...

That's just sad. After reading this post, I realized that I am very fortunate to be studying at such a good school. Hi Ate Tepai. You're right, we should not give up easily because things don't turn out the way we want it to at times.

Steph said...

Yes, we all are fortunate to be where we are now. It's such a sad fact that there are people who are less but deserves more.

Hello Caryl! :) True that! Just be patient with life :)